This last weekend between working on the kitchen and the router table I started on a project for a couple of friends. Axel is back in country and will be here for awhile and needs some stuff for his new shop and Paul ,from the flintlock site , need an anvil as well.
I have had an old truck at the house that I gave a loan on. Well he can’t be found after a decade so a while back I decided to use it for other things. This is part of what it went to.
I had more fun then you can even imagine taking this front end apart.
Nothing came off easily. Every thing was a battle. starting with the break drum. None of the bolts would come loose without an impact wrench and heat.
The only way to get the break pads out was to cut them out.
The same goes for everything else as well.
All the bolts on the drum had to be beaten out with a sledge hammer.
At the end of the day I was left with both drums.
The cross member
And a pile of scrap to be used in forging projects.
Now came the fun part. With Axel’s help I was able top move the cross member to the band saw room and cut it into usable lengths.
Then after some time of the mill I finally cut the first one down to the rough shape necessary to work it into an anvil.
The horn still needs work but that will have to be done with a grinder.