On our last update we discussed the newly design disconnector, http://gunlab.net/update-on-the-vg1-5-project/.
With this new disconnector we have now hand fitted all the fire control groups. Once this task was completed we then took apart all the fire control groups to do the last heat treating.
This now finishes the last of […]
We have been working on the fire control group and once again have made a few changes for more reliable operation and safety. We continue to have issues with the disconnector operating properly. There were issues with the hammer spring improperly contacting the disconnector. An additional problem came about with insufficient spring pressure to hold […]
A while back I was able to obtain a few books that I did not have in the reference library. I have a thing about not only gun books but also machining and manufacturing books. So what could be better then a book about manufacturing guns. This book was written in 1899 and is about […]
A couple of years ago I bought a Remington Hepburn rifle That was in very poor condition. I happen to like this style of action and wanted to reverse engineer it and make a new rifle. Orin, a friend of gun lab, also has an interest in this rifle and making one. I bought a […]
Not that we have finished running the parts on the machining centers it is time to do the final fit up. Using the 1018 trunions that we made a hole was drilled in it to allow alignment with the button pressed into the receiver. Then the blocks were tested to see if the fit up […]
With these last three operations we will have completed the work on the cnc machining center.
You can see the process of rough machining the bottom of the curve for the trunion. This op also machined the complete magazine well out.
A good side view of the rough machining of the curve.
All the […]
It has been a while for a MP-44 trunion update. The next couple of posts will get us back up to date with the trunion project.
The new op 5 was to cut a slot and rough magazine opening to allow coolant flow and chip removal and still allow us to high speed machine.
In this post we are going to look at how the badly cut up and rusted lower portion of the MP-44 receiver was repaired. You can see in the first photo the condition of the under side of the lower front portion of the receiver.
The first set was to cut out the bad section.